What is Bariatric Medicine? Bariatric Medicine is the non-surgical medical management of overweight and obese patients. What is a Bariatric Physician? Bariatric Physicians have the knowledge base and specialized skills to ensure an elevated standard of care in the management and treatment of obesity and related conditions. What is the purpose of Bariatric Certification? Certified Bariatric Physicians go by established Bariatric Practice Guidelines that focus on four main areas for successful weight-loss: 1. Diet 2. Exercise 3. Behavior Modification 4. Medication, if appropiate Why Bariatrics? In 1985, NIH-National Institutes of Health designated obesity as a specific disease category that requires treatment by trained physicians. Obesity is considered a chronic medical condition and not just a behavioral issue that an individual should be able to manage. This is the reason why the medical community has become better at treating obesity related conditions and co-morbidities, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes but have not come to a consensus on how to treat obesity itself.
- Sadiqa is India’s first US qualified Bariatric Physician from the American Board of Bariatric Medicine. There are only 450 US qualified bariatric physicians worldwide.
- She is a member of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians.
- She also actively practises BHRT- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy and holds membership in the American Academy of Anti- aging Medicine and is the Hyderabad representative of the American Society of Rejuvenative Medicine.
- She has done MD-Family Medicine from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA and MBBS from Hyderabad, India.
- She is an alumni of Phillips Exeter Academy, Class of 1994, New Hampshire, USA and The Continental School, Jeddah, KSA.
- She has come back to India to serve her country with her husband and 5 children.
- She practises the art and science of medical weight loss otherwise known as Bariatric Medicine.